[X Newbies] Mail Attachment Issue

cricket cricket at apple.com
Wed Jul 9 10:39:44 PDT 2003

AOL users should also consider letting AOL know that it's time they
supported MIME. It's been a standard for nearly 7 years now and every
email client currently in production has supported it for at least 5
years.

It's not some weird fringe format that they can continue to turn a
blind eye to.

Point them to this URL:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2045.txt

As an email client developer, we can work around a lot of things in
other programs, but it makes it very hard when AOL considers
interoperability to be something to deny its users for no good reason.

There's even freely available source code that shows how to implement
MIME in an email client here:

ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/imap/c-client_archive

Don't be afraid to complain. You're paying them good money for a
service and it should give you at least basic functionality (like
receiving attachments).

- cricket

On Wednesday, July 9, 2003, at 10:18 AM, TheMacintoshLady wrote:

> There are many ways to solve the MIME problem on AOL.
>
> Keyword: MIME should tell both Mac and PC users how to de-MIME their
> attachments so they can be read.
> On the Mac, it's as simple as running it through Stuffit Expander
> (free).

----->
Software Entomologist – Mail for Mac OS X
                 http://www.apple.com/macosx/panther/mail.html