[X Newbies] He said, she said.

Florin Alexander Neumann alexn at ica.net
Wed Jul 23 11:36:11 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003, at 14:03 Canada/Eastern, Bob Baron wrote:

> Verbally I say "Mac OS X," she says "Mac OS Ten."  We haven't come to
> blows (yet) but is there a correct and proper way of identifying the
> OS when speaking?

"X" stands for the Roman numeral equivalent to "10". Therefore, the
correct pronounciation is "Mac OS Ten", not "Mac OS Eks". However, what
is correct and what people use are two very different things,
especially in English, which, unlike French, doesn't have a recognized
authority to set linguistic standards. So, if in real life "forums"
instead of "fora" and "flammable" instead of "inflammable" don't bother
you, you can go on saying "Mac OS Eks".