[X Newbies] Adding PC to my cable modem

T. Patrick Henebry tphenebry at comcast.net
Sun Jul 27 21:49:43 PDT 2003

On 7/27/03 9:08 PM, "jc" <jc at his.com> wrote:

> I know you can add a PC to my Cable modem (I'm using a G4). Do I need
> some kind of hub and will I need to add something to my wife's PC (she
> uses Windoze ME) on an old PC without USB.

You'll need a Network card for your wife's PC and a DSL/Cable modem router.

Install the Network card in your wife's PC, Connect both the Mac and the PC
to ports on the router using Ethernet cables, and then connect the cable
modem to the WAN port on the router.

On both the Mac and the PC you must configure the computer to use the router
as the default gateway to the Internet

NOTE: you'll need to unplug the cable modem from the wall and let it sit for
about 1 to 2 minutes so it is forced to reset itself when it has power
again. Otherwise the computers may not "see" the cable modem properly when
things are connected back up.

You'll want to get a router from a Mac-friendly company such as Asante,
Netgear, or D-Link.
--
T. Patrick Henebry
tphenebry at comcast.net