[X Newbies] MacJanitor

Vincent Cayenne vcayenne at mac.com
Sun Jul 27 22:23:00 PDT 2003

At 12:35 AM -0400 7/28/03, T. Patrick Henebry wrote:
>Then I must be in a league all my own.

No. As I said Repair Permissions will show that some permissions are
not as they should be. These have not had an impact on the operation
of your Mac so you don't *have* to repair them.

>  I've been using OS X for over a year
>(first 10.1.x then Jaguar), run multiple updates, installed/removed a ton of
>software, etc. and never had to repair permissions.

Like many others who're in the same fortunate situation. As I said,
even some of Apple's update have disrupted permissions. In many cases
this has no adverse impact on use. In some cases it does henceforth
the need for the facility to correct it.

>I just finished checking and there *are* some the system says are wrong
>which relate to some browser plugins but so long as the system is working OK
>I'm not going to monkey with things.
>
>So it would appear that the system will run fine with at least some
>incorrect permissions.

Yes. There is a need for the utility but the utility does not *have*
to be applied unless some trouble makes it advisable...
--
'tis as said. [Reality is defined by being described]