[X Newbies] Functions in Virex 7

Florin Alexander Neumann alexn at ica.net
Wed Jun 4 11:43:17 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, Jun 4, 2003, at 12:47 Canada/Eastern, Steven Rogers wrote:

> That would be a Word macro virus, not a Windows virus. I'm not sure
> what the limits of these scripts are in OS X, but I suspect they can
> do almost anything to your files.

Macro viruses are severely limited under X.

> If you have outlook, it can probably script the sending of mail too.

No. Microsloth Mac e-mail apps (Outlook, Entourage) are not affected by
macro viruses. Moreover, the General>Macro virus protection preference,
which should have been on by default in Word X, warns about documents
which might contain macros and gives the option of opening them without
the macros. It's a good idea to leave this preference on and not allow
macros to run.