[X Newbies] Software update to CD via Windows machine?

Chris Walker chris at mymac.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 11 02:28:15 PDT 2003

On 10/6/03 Konrad Waibel wrote:

>18.5 mbs to finish, biggest successful download to date. Now there is a
>.............. I may
>have access to Windows machine and T1 connection. I called Apple
>Techservice and asked if downloading the Apple software updates using
>the T1 and burning a cd on the Windows computer, would I be able to use
>the cd to install the software on my iMac? Apple tech said he thought
>it would work, wasn't sure, but thought if the iMac didn't like the
>data it wouldn't install anything.
>
>Is this a 'dumb and dumber' plan?, or will it work??

Yes it does work, I've done it several times, always with the combo
updaters which, to me at least,  for some reason appear more reliable.
Make sure the disc burning software is set to burn to ISO 9660 format -
most likely it will default to this, but you never know with PCs.  You
will need to copy it to your Mac disk and use Stuffit Expander to decode it.

cheers,
Chris