[X Newbies] X on early G3 iMac

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Tue Jun 17 08:55:55 PDT 2003

On 6/17/03 17:45, "Chris Foote" <foote at chem.ucla.edu> wrote:

>>>  I've got an original 233Mhz Bondi iMac running 10.2.6. When I
>>>  originally installed 10.2 it turned out that I had to remove one of my
>>>  memory modules or it would not install. It would go thru the process
>>>  very slowly but would never quite finish.
>>
>> I know its too late now, but I managed to get around having to remove
>> any memory modules on a Bondi iMac by installing Jaguar in the smallest
>> increments possible. Going from memory, I did the minimal base install
>> first, then installed the rest of the OS (no apps), then installed the
>> applications from the second disk one at a time by starting from the
>> hard drive, putting in the second CD, and running each installer
>> individually.
>>
>> -Mike
>
> That's not the issue. You shouldn't have to do this. The problem is
> that some memory modules (usually addons) turn out to be defective
> under X, leading to a stall in the installation process.

Yep, happened to me with a 400 MHz iMac. I had to buy new memory and it
works fine, though slooooow.

And they're not actually defective; it's just that X is more demanding and
doesn't run with any memory that doesn't meet its requirements.

Kirk

     Author of: Unix for Mac OS X: Learning the Command Line (Dec. 2003)
  Co-author of: Macworld Mac Upgrade and Repair Bible
  Co-author of: Microsoft Office v. X Inside Out
 . . . . . . .  kirk at mcelhearn.com | http://www.mcelhearn.com  . . . . . .
 . .  Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France  . .