[X Newbies] Links in mail

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Thu Jun 19 10:16:24 PDT 2003

On Thursday, June 19, 2003, at 10:24 AM, Florin Alexander Neumann wrote:

> On Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003, at 18:29 Canada/Eastern, Steven Rogers
> wrote:
>
>> Yeah, it worked fine because the "target=" part of the HTML is just
>> text .  Mail is making the http://blah part into a link
>> automatically.  Look under View=>Show=>Raw Source
>
> I must be dense, because I don't see your point. Your message is plain
> text -- so there's not much to be seen. Mail parses the text and
> recognizes http://blah as a link -- which is the way it's supposed to
> work. . . .

Its just an example of the HTML that causes the problem sent as plain
text so it can be seen. That's why when you click on the http: part,
you don't see the problem mail has with the use of the target= argument.

> there's no reason for Mail to interpret HTML tags as a such, and
> they're ignored. Which seems to me the way it's supposed to work.

Mail DOES interpret HTML tags when they're in an HTML formatted
message. When an HTML message has the "target=" argument in an anchor
tag, it breaks the link. The message I sent works because the target=
argument is just text.

I don't know how it can be much more plain than that. The message I
sent is not supposed to replicate the problem - its supposed to
document it - hopefully to get Cricket's attention, if you haven't run
him off already.

SR