X on early G3 iMac

Jon Warms jwarms at mac.com
Thu Jun 19 11:19:04 PDT 2003

On Thursday, June 19, 2003, at 09:00 AM, Mac OS X Newbies wrote:

> That's all true, but it wasn't the cause of all the majority of
> failures that were occurring with the OS X installations in early G3's.

Well, not exactly. The marginal memory was simply not recognized by the
firmware. It didn't directly result in a failure; it just meant the OS
X installer had less memory to work with -- which generally wasn't good.

> In the vast majority of cases, however, the memory was
> just fine. What people were doing is removing all upgrades (including
> hard drive and CPU upgrades) and re-installing the original hardware.
> Then they'd install OS X, followed by re-installing the same memory and
> other hardware they had before. No problems after that.

This should solve most problems. Though removing-reinstalling memory is
playing with fire. If memory is broken, you'll find out right away.
When good memory goes bad later, you'll know it, if only because the
startup memory test will fail, but this has happened to me or my
clients only once since 1984. OTOH, I've installed memory boards
loosely, and had to go back in and push them in better. If the memory
test doesn't fail, leave the boards alone!

> That's all true, but it wasn't the cause of all the majority of
> failures that were occurring with the OS X installations in early G3's.
> The installations fail at different points during the installation
> process, not during a memory check and not because of marginal or bad

(1) Some of the OS X installers have failed once or twice before
eventually completing the install successfully. Disconcerting and
annoying, but no apparent ill effects.

(2) It's important to stress that the read-me files be followed
carefully, that pre-requisite installations have been completed, and
that the latest version of the software is being used.

> So I still stand by my original recommendation. Before you do the
> hardware shuffle, try doing the installation one step at a time instead
> of all at once. IMO you really have nothing to lose by trying it.
>
> -Mike

Do your own thing. Which is the Mac way. It'll usually work.

But when someone has a problem, (which is what the issue is here), I
suggest reading the manual (the read-me files in this case), and
following them carefully. This will avoid a lot of problems. 1) Read
the read-me files. 2) Do the pre-requisite installs. 3) Check the
system config (hardware, memory, and software), 4) Make sure the
software, the read-me file, and the upgrade are up-to-date. 5)Then
follow the read-me file like a road map.

Jon