suddenly dead ethernet card

Chris Foote foote at chem.ucla.edu
Tue Jun 24 09:30:17 PDT 2003

>Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 16:15:46 -0400
>Subject: [X Newbies]
>From: Vince Venero <vincejr at ufl.edu>
>
>My girlfriend has an 800mhz iMac, circa May 2002.  Not sure of the
>exact revision code.  But anyways, she has been using is sucesfully on
>an apartment LAN for 9 months.  Recently, the lost connection to the
>network and internet.  A look in the network pref pane shows that no ip
>address was received from the DHCP server nor was a 169. class address
>self assigned.
>
>This is very strange and it has completely halted all ethernet
>connectivity of the iMac.
>
>I have tried repair disk permissions and ran fsck.  As a last attempt I
>even reinstalled jaguar last night.  Still no change.  We even moved to
>another network (one at my apartment).  Still no change.  I reset the
>PRAM also.... no change.  Opening up the network utility and showing
>the en0 deivce (ethernet), the link status is always inactive....
>
>Can anyone offer some advice or has the ethernet card gone belly up in
>this iMac.  It really cant be software related anymore as the new OS
>should have eliminated that problem.
>
>Thanks,
>Vince

I had this happen after a nearby lightning strike; It turned out, it
was a destroyed ethernet chip, which required a motherboard
replacement. Hope yours is not so serious.
Chris

Christopher S. Foote                      |Internet:foote at chem.ucla.edu
5505C Molecular Science                   |Phone:(310)-825-1409
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry  |FAX:  (310)-206-1843
University of California, Los Angeles     |
CA 90095-1569                             |
  http://www.chem.ucla.edu/dept/Organic/CSF_Brochure.html