Localtalk initialization

David Boag spikedds at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 25 06:49:12 PDT 2003

This is a follow-up to my previous inquiry about the 75 second pause
during startup of my dad's G4 in 10.2.6.

I spoke with a tech yesterday at a reliable local retailer (not a
chain), and described the problem and the setup of my dad's machine. He
said that the pause is normal when you are connecting to a printer
using an ehternet-to-localtalk bridge. He said that is about how long
it takes for localtalk to initialize, and that the only reason it seems
to be long in OS 10 is because the Mac tells you what it is doing
during startup, and that it still does it in 9, you just don't know
what it is doing at the time.

Does this explanation hold water?
--
David R. Boag, DDS