Sound dies - restart without reboot?

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Wed Jun 25 21:26:54 PDT 2003

I'm having trouble with the sound going out on my G4 (10.2.6) at odd
times. I can't really strongly correlate it with anything.  When it
quits, *nothing* makes a sound - not the volume adjustment knobs,
nothing. Its been happening for a while - at least 10.2.4.  Sometimes
it happens after a few hours, sometimes the system runs for a week
without rebooting and no problems. A reboot always fixes it. Is there
some background process that can be restarted to fix this?  Is anyone
else seeing the problem?

SR