[X Newbies] [OT] Win2000 Passwords

Chris Walker chris at mymac.demon.co.uk
Sun Jun 29 11:40:14 PDT 2003

On 28/6/03 Chris Lowrance wrote:

>On the Win2k machine, right click on My Computer and choose Manage. In
>the left hand column, choose Users and Groups. In the right hand
>column, right click on the user you need to change the password and
>choose reset password.
Thanks for that Chris but now I have a different problem!.  First some
more info on the setup.  I am running a G4/400 Mac with 10.2.6 to which I
am connecting a PC with Win2000 via a direct cable.  After trial and
error I discovered a cross over cable is not required.  On both I am the
sole user.  The reason for th is is that I want tog et the sharing/
network setup more or less correct before I go to DSL with a router and
DSL modem.

On X I have SMB checked and also fileshare/windows file share.  Yesterday
the Mac found the PC but I got the error msg leading me to believe I had
the wrong password.  In fact I'm sure I've never bothered with one on the
PC since I am the sole user, although I do have an admin one for the Mac.
 Today though, the mac cannot find the PC even though at that stage
nothing had been altered.

Some questions:
1 Can I rename the PC (and for that matter the Mac) with a view to
starting over?
2  I have a feeling that the Windows use of workgroups is confusing
things.  At the moment the sole workgroup is HOMEUSER.  Is this what I
atttempt to connect to or should I put in the 'name' of the PC or myself
as admin/user?
3  Does X look for the Win account password on the PC or should it be
stored on the Mac, and should it be the same one the person uses if
sitting at the PC?

On 29/6/03 Ken Wieringo wrote:
>there is a utility on the web(I forget what it's called) it's really a
>hacking tool, that lets you boot from a floppy into DOS so you can
>change the Administrator PW.
Thanks Ken I'll ask around see if I can find it.

Cheers,
Chris