[X Newbies] Phone Number Mystery

TheMacintoshLady TheMacintoshLady at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 4 11:11:40 PST 2003

Joe Ellis tapped out this message on 3/4/2003 12:35 PM

>Why would you want to turn indexing off in OS X?

Because the OS can't do much else while it's happening and I do those
things manually at my own choice of time. So where to turn it off?

> It's a process that runs in
>the background to support "Find by Content" and is self limiting as to size
>of indexes it builds. Once the indexes are built they don't take a lot of
>space and they don't "grow" a lot and don't take a lot of system resources
>to keep up to date. If your system disk is so starved for space that you
>feel these indices are causing problems then you really need to get a larger
>drive or allocate more space to your system volume. Keep in mind that OS X
>is designed to run in an "always on" state and has several "housekeeping"
>routines that are supposed to run on a regular schedule to maintain the
>system in a "healthy" state.

I know all about UNIX. I don't want things "running" in the background. I
have my own scripts to run when I want them to...not in the middle of
something I am trying to do.