[X Newbies] Indexing was: Phone #

RevBluejeans . mylasticposse at mac.com
Tue Mar 4 16:03:13 PST 2003

 >>Start up Shelock.  Choose the Preferences menu and make sure to unselect
>>the two choices that turn Indexing on.  But, be sure to manually index
>>your volumes once in a while or you may not be able to find things easier.
>
>This does not work. Sherlock is only for the internet.
 Hmmm.. I noticed that someone had mentioned that using Finder one can deselect other languages to make it index faster. However, I don't think that Sherlock is only for the internet (copyright Al Gore, 1992:-) To the best of my knowledge, and I admit willingly non-omniscience, Sherlock is not limited to searching the internet. It is also used to search the local hard drive which is why it tries to index your drive in the first place. I never use it, but everytime I forget and use Command+F up comes Sherlock and it immediately starts to index things.
 As a suggestion perhaps you could use the top command in terminal to see what is going on when you have the times when there is a lot of stuff going on in the background. It could be that Sherlock is, in fact, indexing. i have noticed that to be the case on my iBook. Though to be fair I have to admit I haven't seen my machine for a month since I turned it in to Apple to do some warranty work. *sigh* Perhaps things have changed.
 As for processes running in the background, I find top to be useful here as well. At least I can see what application is immediately taking up CPU time. Have you done that with your machine? I noticed that you said it was slow but it was responding. Perhaps that could give a definitive answer. Hope it helps. Miles