[X Newbies] Indexing was: Phone #

Norman Cohen nacohen at mac.com
Wed Mar 5 07:33:49 PST 2003

Regarding system maintenance, besides Macaroni, you can use MacJanitor,
which is Freeware and runs the three maintenance tasks when you want.
You can also do it by Applescript or in the terminal. One can edit the
"Cron" table where these Unix tasks are scheduled or install a unix
program like Anacron, which will run Cron tasks that were missed when
the computer wakes from sleep. These last few are more advanced
techniques. For those interested, check out http://www.macosxhints.com
where one will find a slew of excellent tips and techniques for
managing OSX. I list these techniques (and there may be others) to
demonstrate that OS X does give a significant number of ways to deal
with many issues. As I've evolved from a Classic Mac power user to an
OS X power user since the days of the OS X beta release, I have become
more and more impressed with the usefulness of this flexibility. Given
that this is the Newbies list, I won't clutter the list with the
code/instructions for these techniques. E-mail me off list if you have
an interest in learning more.

Norm
On Tuesday, March 4, 2003, at 04:40  PM, TheMacintoshLady wrote:

> RevBluejeans . tapped out this message on 3/4/2003 7:03 PM
>
>>> This does not work. Sherlock is only for the internet.
>
>> Hmmm.. I noticed that someone had mentioned that using Finder one can
>> deselect other languages to make it index faster. However, I don't
>> think
>> that Sherlock is only for the internet (copyright Al Gore, 1992:-)
>
> LOL, in 10.2.4 it is...now use Command+F and a small find function pops
> up which I like much better..
>
> I have kept processes running and see nothing special working, but the
> best thing is to run some sort of script to do the daily/weekly/monthly
> clean up and that will delete all your logs. THIS is what eats your
> drive
> in X. I just needed a definitive answer on that and have discovered it
> on
> my own.
>
> For those who want it automated, download a file called Macaroni 1.3.3
> and pay the $7.99. It's well worth it and you won't have to worry about
> keeping your machine on all night. Install it and forget it.

Norman Cohen
nacohen at mac.com