OS X reinstall

John Belen imacdude at mac.com
Sat Mar 8 07:58:34 PST 2003

My son has a 700mhz iBook.  I can get the machine to boot to OS9, but
for OSX he gets the grey screen with the Apple logo and the infinitely
spinning daisy.  He called apple and they said to either rebuild from
the restore CDs, or go buy the FULL Jaguar because it has a restore
option.  I can back up all his Data to my Titanium via firewire but
it's the step-by-step I'm not sure of.  Tell me if I'm wrong, but I
think it goes something like this:

1)  Back up his machine.
2) Verify the backup!!!
3)  Boot to restore disks and reinstall them.
4) Reboot and set up machine, users, settings etc.
5) Copy contents from backed up home folder and any other apps.
6) Boot again to install CDs and restore permissions and run disk
doctor.
7) Reboot and voila!!  Back in business.

Sound good?

whew...

Thanks
John Belen