[X Newbies] Crash city

Vincent Cayenne vcayenne at mac.com
Wed Mar 12 18:51:22 PST 2003

At 11:14a -0500 2003.02.14, TheMacintoshLady wrote:
>Please know what you are talking about before you complain.

I'm taking the above out of context but it's ever so relevant. I'm
sure that assisting others for 14 hours out of the day leaves little
time for much else but it might behoove you to at least spend a
little of your own time staying up to date on the information side.
For someone facing the challenges that you have with OS X, I strongly
recommend that you at least give MacFixit, Macintouch and MacNN  the
daily once-over. Also, for each of the applications that you deal
with, look up the application on VersionTracker and note the
comments. Finally, find one of the Mac OS X books that has a writing
style you find comfortable and spend some time learning OS X (as
opposed to only trying to find how to do things the OS 9 way using OS
X). O'Reilly seems to be rolling out what amounts to a library of OS
X material. There's also an "OS X Unleashed", 2nd Ed. (orange cover)
that I consider a veritable bible while David Pogue's offerings cover
a lot of ground.

Efforts in that direction would have led to the fact that FaxSTF has
been almost universally panned by the user community. I do _not_ say
this from experience but my reading has led to a singular lack of
desire for me to even try the beast if it were offered. The same
reading has shown that nothing on OS X has yet compared to the
defunct GlobalFax (which I owned from inception and loved). Page
Sender is garnering excellent reviews. Cocoa Efax is a contender.

In the same vein, with your evident misfortunes with OS X long before
now, one would think that your research would have apprised you of
the fact that there were _some_ new machines that would not boot OS
9. If you were buying a brand new machine at a time when this is the
case, you should at least find out where your proposed purchase would
lie on that front. If the fact that the machine would not boot OS 9
was not revealed to you ** when you asked that obvious question at
the time of purchase ** you should return the machine because of the
misrepresentation.

There are several resources which have grown up around the known
shortcomings, flaws and omissions in OS X. These convey information,
present workarounds, list other resources, offer help, explain
shortcuts, make patches available, etc. OSXHints, MacSlash,
MacOSXApps, Randy B. Singer's invaluable troubleshooting guide, the
sites mentioned earlier, the world of Usenet with
comp.sys.everythingbutthekitchensink - all available through Google
Groups or any news reader.

While no one know it all, and it's hard sometimes to even know a lot,
it's hard to countenance that you have been picking away at OS X for
three years! You seem to have been trying to make OS X _be_ OS 9 for
much of that time. OS X is _NOT_ OS 9. It is as "Macintosh" as we
could ever hope for but it is DIFFERENT. Give it and yourself a real
chance: pretend that it is a new operating system. See my sig.

One of the best things about OS X is that anything that is missing
will probably be added. What's just "different" may actually
represent progress. May...
--
There are two kinds of fool. One says, "This is old, and therefore good."
And one says, "This is new, and therefore better"