[X Newbies] Lite On 52x24x52 CDRW

Ray Fryer r.fyr at verizon.net
Thu May 1 17:55:17 PDT 2003

On Thursday, May 1, 2003, at 06:45  PM, Leon Sargent Jr wrote:

> Does anyone use a Lite ON 52x24x52 CDRW?

I have a lite-on 48x24x48 which boots and works. I just did a reinstall
of OS 9.2 and OS X.2 using it on a new HD.  It is supported in OS X.2
with iTunes, but don't know about the 52x. I mainly use Toast 5.2 but
you need 5.2.1 for the OS  10.2.5 update. I find iTunes kind of awkward
but is convenient for burning your lists from MP3 to Audio CD.

BTW, I bought this under the name Buslink for only $20. I believe
Cendyne sold some Lite-on. Look on box and see if has a "LTR" plus
model number at your local OfficeMax, stapes, etc. But it doesn't
always list it on the box. Cendenye did but Buslink didn't. With these
companies you never know what you are going to get. I've gotten 2
entirely different brands from I/O magic which was suppose to be
48x12x48 and one of them turned out to be a 52x24x52 but I used them in
PC's.

I just bought a Cendyne but it wasn't a Lite-on . It said on the box
48x12x48 but turned out to be 48x24x48. It doesn't have a brand name
that I can tell but it gives model number 4824P, so I guess it would be
considered generic. But it seemed to worked pretty good in my Beige G3
Mac without any flash upgrade. Toast 5.2 recognized it but didn't test
it for iTunes for some reason. Booted and everything. I've tried some
others in Mac's  before I put them in PC's and they don't all work; as
some will hang; at least for me. Sometimes if you get them flash
upgraded on a PC, they will work. The only thing lately is that I find
more CDRW with contoured front covers which look nice but they will not
fit the Beige G3 Bezels correctly. I imagine they will fit the firewire
cases if they are completely opened in the front. But I've long had my
Beige G3 cover off and have sheet of plastic on top to accommodate
other drives.

Also go to accelerate your mac:
http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drivedb/search.drivedb.lasso.

There's an interesting article. It really praises the 48x lite-on CDRW
but for PC:
http://www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/drives/burners/lite-on48x/
index.htm

I have a Beige G3 DT with a rev b rom upgrade and haven't tested
whether it works in a rev A.