[X Newbies] Mail.app

Norman Cohen nacohen at mac.com
Sat May 3 14:54:55 PDT 2003

Try the keychain first aid utility. When one has trouble with the
retention of passwords, this is often the problem.

You can get it here (make sure you get the whole link on one line):

<http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/
apple_Software_Updates/Mac_OS_X/downloads/061-0285.20021112.BGPb3/
KeychainFirstAidApp.dmg.bin>

Norm
On Saturday, May 3, 2003, at 01:16  PM, Miles wrote:

>  I have a small question perhaps someone would know the answer to. One
> of the people here on campus has a G4 powerbook, 1GHZ 10.2.5 and
> cannot use the Mail.app to send mail from his machine. I am running an
> iBook, 600MHZ, 10.2.5 and have no problem.
>  We have tried making a new account and have had no luck with his
> machine no matter what we do. If I make the exact same settings on his
> machine then it still keeps asking for an account and password which
> never seems to work.
>  He called Apple and they said that the server he is trying to access
> here on campus doesn't accept the type of authentication scheme that
> he is using. However, while I don't think I know more than Apple, I do
> know I can send messages absolutely fine with my iBook.
>  I am wondering if someone else had come across some issue with the
> way that Mail.app was set up to authenticate. Perhaps he has changed
> some permissions, too. I had him run the DiskUtility and reset
> permissions, but that didn't work, either.
>  I am pretty sure it is something fairly obvious and I just have
> worked with it enough that I can no longer see what the difference
> between our two machines is in order to institute the change to his > is.
>  Any ideas?
> Thanks,
> Miles

Norman Cohen