[X Newbies] Conceptualizing Desktop

Scott scott-xlists at scotist.com
Mon May 5 18:29:53 PDT 2003

On Sunday, May 4, 2003, at 18:31 US/Pacific, Anne Keller-Smith wrote:

> At 11:48 AM -0700 5/4/03, Jerry Krinock wrote:
>> Anne, I think you've answered a lot of your own questions.  Here are
>> the
>> next steps I recommend for you:
>>
>> 1.  Stop using OS 9.
>
> Can't as I'm using OS9 for project work. I don't know OSX well enough
> to do this yet.
>
>> 2.  Stop using the desktop.
>
> Um, I need to know where my OS9 files are to do my work. That's
> why I asked for some help conceptualizing where things might be.
> I need to switch back and forth from 9 to X and I need the whole
> hard drive to be accessible in either OS.

My desktop is a dumping ground for stuff I don't want to file, so I
only look at it when it comes time to do backup.

Having said that, I would be the last person to say *you* can't use the
desktop. If it works for you, keep using it.
By default, if there are any items on your "mac os 9" desktop (the
hidden Desktop Folder folder in your hard drive), there will be an
alias on your OS X desktop called "Desktop (Mac OS 9)". This opens a
folder containing all of your OS 9 desktop items.

While in 9, to get to your OS X desktop contents, open Macintosh
HD:Users:<your name here>:Desktop . You can put an alias of this folder
on your OS 9 desktop.

Holding down command(apple) and option while dragging a folder will
automatically create an alias.

With these two aliases, you can access either desktop from the other.

--
Scott