[X Newbies] Conceptualizing OSX was Desktop

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Wed May 7 06:17:19 PDT 2003

On 5/7/03 15:06, "John Wilson" <wilsonjohn at mac.com> wrote:

> In my opinion, it's still a hierachial (sp?) system and can be thought of as
> such. For example, open your hard drive and view it in column mode. It's just
> that when you're logged in one of the accounts you've landed in the middle of
> the hierachy. John

That's exactly correct. Your Home folder is actually here:

/users/yourUserName

Which means that it is two levels below the "root" of the filesystem. But
you needn't worry about that - OS X is designed so users who don't need to
look any further don't have to.

Kirk

    Author of: Unix for Mac OS X: Learning the Command Line (Sept. 2003)
 Co-author of: Macworld Mac Upgrade and Repair Bible (April 2003)
 Co-author of: Microsoft Office v. X Inside Out
 . . . . . . .  kirk at mcelhearn.com | http://www.mcelhearn.com  . . . . . .
 . .  Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France  . .