[X Newbies] jpegs, etc.

Vincent Cayenne vcayenne at mac.com
Tue May 20 10:47:09 PDT 2003

At 1:07p -0400 2003.05.20, Florin Alexander Neumann wrote:
>This goes back to a basic problem. How does the computer know what
>kind a particular file is? One way is to include this information in
>the file itself. For instance, PNG files always begin with "âPNG".
>Another is to include it in the file name -- e.g., "My Picture.png".
>This is what Windows (still) does.

The file metadata is data about the data in the file so both of the
above methods describe two locations for _placement_ of metadata as
well as two different ways of stating the metadata.

>  Yet another is to include this information neither in the file
>itself, nor in the file name, but in the file metadata, i.e., in the
>information about the file.

The third option that was used by Apple-preference pre-OS X was to
store the metadata in a resource fork separate from the data fork of
the file. Again this both a difference in location and in the way the
metadata is presented.

>  This information is present in a database maintained by the operating system.

The metadata was held within each file (otherwise it isn't really
metadata?). The database in question was where looking up the file
metadata (type and creator) would give the associated application and
other applications capable of dealing with the type of data within
the file.

>  Each method has its pros and cons.
>
>Macintosh used the latter option. For each mounted volumes, Finder
>maintained a database with information about each file

No, the information remained in the individual files.

>, including a four-character Type code, e.g. "PNGf". This code was
>invisible to the user, who could only access it with utilities such
>as ResEdit or File Buddy.

The type and creator wasn't particularly hidden and could be seen by
the simple expedient of using the "Get Info" in the Finder. Setting
the type and creator outside of the associated application/s was
often accomplished by various utilities.

--
'tis as said. [Reality is defined by being described]