[X Newbies] Partitioning Drive?

Florin Alexander Neumann alexn at ica.net
Tue May 20 12:51:21 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, May 20, 2003, at 13:57 Canada/Eastern, Michael Winter wrote:

> But for a newbie (this list), which is it and how do you make that
> determination? It depends a lot on how much you use iPhoto, iTunes or
> iMovie. If you're like me, you start out thinking you won't use them
> much, then end up with several GB of photos and several GB of tunes.
> Then you run out of space and what do you do?

That's what the third partition is for. That's where you should store
movies, photos, MP3s or AACs of music you already own, etc. If these
files are important, then you can include this partition in your backup
strategy. But if you find yourself filling up your drives with
important digital video files, then 'general use' doesn't describe you.

> Personally, I only backup my Users directory. The rest takes very
> little time to rebuild from scratch and ensures the cause of the
> problem isn't simply restored back into the system.

That, I fancy, is another discussion... say, "Backup Strategies"?

> IMO, this just adds a layer of complexity with little or no benefit.
> Does a "newbie" really want to spend the time figuring all this out,
> and will there be a benefit over simply having these things use the
> first partition.

That's up to the newbie. I feel we should each offer suggestions that
reflect our experience. The newbie reads carefully and chooses
whichever makes sense for him or he is most comfortable with.

> Multiple partitions really requires planning and is definitely not a
> one-size-fits-all scenario.

Quite. That's why this scheme was suggested for "general use".