[X Newbies] Partitioning Drive?

Florin Alexander Neumann alexn at ica.net
Tue May 20 14:55:59 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, May 20, 2003, at 16:52 Canada/Eastern, Steven Rogers wrote:

>  I don't see how one could advocate creating disk partitions on the
> basis that its easier for a newbie than picking files from a list.

What do you use for regular backups? The pickings are fairly slim on
the Mac, so I recommend Retrospect, which has a decent track record (if
worse than miserable tech support). Here's an instance. The user has a
PowerBook, a single partition. I teach him how to use Retrospect. I
tell him to dump all files he doesn't need to back up into a folder
called Junk, and show him how to exclude it from the back up when he
does it. He forgets, and the next back up, instead of taking 10 minutes
and 1 CD-RW, takes an hour and a half and 10 CD-RWs. He forgot to
exclude Junk, where he'd dumped a number of movies he intended to watch
on his next business trip. Of course, he should have stopped the backup
as soon as he saw how much was going to be backed up -- but he's not a
'power user'...

> But the key is that usually there is some scheme where files of a
> certain type or use go in one partition, and the whole question is how
> big it has to be, and what happens if you guess too small or too >
> large.

Indeed. But this is not rocket science. If you're an average user, what
you have are various word processing files, some spreadsheets, web
stuff, and so on. Few of these are likely to be above 5MB. The music
and image files -- the really big ones -- those go chiefly on a
separate partition, and you're not going to back them up on a regular
basis. So a 20GB partition should be adequate for the average user --
provided there is additional storage on a separate partition. If you're
a graphic designer or into music production or digital video, or you
need to host a massive database on your machine -- you're not an
average user and you need a different setup.