[X Newbies] Partitioning Drive?

Vincent Cayenne vcayenne at mac.com
Tue May 20 14:43:37 PDT 2003

At 1:54p -0500 2003.05.20, Steven Rogers wrote:
>A "scratch" partition is a complete waste of time.

Except for those who are doing audio or video or big Photoshop jobs.
For them separate scratch partitions can have tremendous value,
particularly on laptops where specific additional drives are not
guaranteed to be in place at all times. Of course, that an individual
is working in one of these areas does not disqualify them from being
a Macintosh OS X "newbie" so the situation arises.

>  I don't see that an "emergency partition" gets you much.

It's valuable when setting up a "traveller's" laptop and even any
machine which is supported by someone other than the user. In general
use, most users are better off with a set of trouble-shooting CDs
that includes the Apple CDs, DiskWarrior and any one of the
comprehensive disk utility suites.

>  Most people are much better off with a single volume.

I agree. Usually the inconvenience and confusion are disadvantages
which outweigh any advantages that would be afforded to a confessed
newbie.
--
It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe,
with one trifling exception, is composed of others.