Partitioning Drive?

Jon Warms jwarms at mac.com
Wed May 21 08:06:53 PDT 2003

Add my vote to the partitioning side, with a condition.

Partitioning a hard drive increases the "sweat factor" a little bit,
especially so for newbies. It's a close call either way, so don't
partition if it'll raise your stress level too high.

I like the emergency partition concept, and I use it on my drives. OS X
has a feature that allows you to select the startup system at boot time
(power-on time) by holding the option key as you start (or re-start)
the computer. It will then search for usable systems and present the
selection to you to choose from. HOWEVER, it only finds one system per
partition/volume. If your OS X folder has become corrupted and
unusable, it won't offer you any other system in the same partition.
But it will find and offer any usable systems in other partitions (or
volumes).

I don't like three partitions. All computers slow down, and your
flexibility/usability becomes restricted, when the volume in use is
almost full. And some applications force you to use the startup volume
for their [large] files.

I do like the idea of one large partition with a second, smaller
partition (4 to 8 GB) for an another system folder.

Jon