[X Newbies] Backup Software (Was: Partitioning Drive?)

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Thu May 22 09:18:29 PDT 2003

On Thursday, May 22, 2003, at 07:03 AM, Florin Alexander Neumann wrote:

> True, while Retrospect's support of a DRD on earlier versions of
> Windows was good, on Win XP it's a dud -- I've tried on several PCs
> and never got it to work. But they're not even trying on the Mac.

Probably because unix-like operating systems don't need the same kind
of recovery process that Windows needs. Installing applications in OS X
is just copying them to the applications folder. In Windows, there are
probably also system libraries to restore, and the registry may need to
be updated for each one - a brittle web of software and data for every
application.

SR