Multiple users question

W. Lane wilann at telusplanet.net
Sat May 31 08:36:20 PDT 2003

On Friday, May 30, 2003, at 02:20  PM, Michael Winter wrote:

>> I'm going to install OS X on our kids' iMac this weekend and, for the
>> first time, set up OS X for multiple users.  (I currently use OS X on
>> my TiBook, but I'm the only user.)  For what pitfalls should I watch?
>>  I assume that they will be able to share apps that are put in
>> /Applications or /Applications (Mac OS 9).
>
> I'll run down a few problems I've run into, particularly pertaining to
> kids.
>
> Yes, everyone can use all the applications in /Applications and
> /Applications (Mac OS 9), but there's one big "gotcha". That is these
> directories can only be modified by admin level users. This has two
> consequences (probably more). First, if your kids are not set up as
> admin users, they can't install software in those folders. They can
> however, install software within an Application folder in their own
> user folder.

Which works well, keeps all the 'factory' stuff under admin control yet
allows the kids to have their own 'fun'.

> Next, many kids' applications (primarily OS 9 apps) keep track of
> kids' names and progress. Most do this by saving files within the
> application folder. For example "Reader Rabbit PreSchool" will save
> this info somewhere in the "Reader Rabbit PreSchool" folder within
> /Applications (Mac OS 9). The problem is if your kids don't have admin
> privileges, they can't "write" to this folder. That means some apps
> will crash and some will simply not progress past the "Please enter
> your name" window. The fix is to either set the privileges for
> /Applications (Mac OS 9) to read+write for everyone (including all
> enclosed files -be aware of possible consequences), or do it on a
> program-by-program basis.

Or, this may be a case where you wish to partition the drive. Here's
there reasoning:

Some folks find it VERY confusing having System, System Folder,
Applications, Applications(OS 9) etc all at the root level of the
drive. On my beige G3 I partitioned out of necessity (X has to be in a
partition <8 gig in the first 8 gig). The rest of the driver I set
aside for other 'stuff', like OS9 (System, Applications etc). Also on
that drive I keep all of the music of the family. I did a 'Get Info' on
the partition and under Ownership & Permissions' I selected "Ignore
ownership on this volume". Effectively every member of the family can
access every file on that partition. One single music Library, each
person with their own play list(s). Works well for us.

> The next hassle I've run into is that my kids seem to think they need
> to install apps every time they run them (particularly the 5 year
> old). Sometimes he does this using his own login, sometimes he sneaks
> in and does it using someone else's when they don't logout. In the
> end, I seem to end up with multiple copies of applications, one where
> it's supposed to be, one at the root level, one in just about every
> user's folder.... When it comes time to clean house, I end up having
> to change privileges on all this stuff prior to trashing.

Ah, which goes back to you original point of only Admin being able to
install Applications, I've heard many folks squawk about this but at
the end of it all methinks perhaps Apple knew what they were doing.

> There are more, but I'm short on time right now. I'll continue later
> if I have a chance.
__
William Lane
Calgary Canada