[X Newbies] Probably a dumb question

Scott scott-xlists at scotist.com
Thu Nov 6 23:28:31 PST 2003

On Nov 6, 2003, at 8:11 AM, Jerry Krinock wrote:

> on 03/11/06 07:08, Birgit Rhoads at wdlnd at adelphia.net wrote:
>
>> You should just trash prefs that pertain to your problem.
>>
>> On Nov 6, 2003, at 9:45 AM, jc wrote:
>>
>>> It has been recommend to dump all my preferences to get rid of a
>>> "flaky" problem on my G4.
>
> Indeed, trashing everything is not likely to solve your problem, and
> even if
> it does, you won't know how to keep it from coming back.  I think you
> need a
> more thoughtful advisor.

But to answer the original question, Don't try moving all the prefs
from the prefs folder to your desktop. That's too many items to keep
track of. You can move the entire prefs folder. Quit all apps first,
then move the prefs folder to your desktop. The system will create a
new one immediately. You can then start adding prefs back in if that
does the trick. I would only add back the prefs that were *not*
recreated - that way, you won't be reintroducing the same issue.

--
Scoot