Upgrading from OSX 102 -> 10.3

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Thu Nov 13 10:59:46 PST 2003

> From: "Galen A Grimes" <gag5 at psu.edu>
>
> What experiences with upgrading from OSX 10.2 -> 10.3 can anyone in
> this
> group share with the others?

Recipe for a hassle-free upgrade (applies to any version of OS X)

1. Make a backup of your important files, or a bootable clone of your
HD if possible. Recommended tool: Carbon Copy Cloner ($10,
http://www.bombich.com)

2. Repair permissions. Recommended tool: Disk Utility.

3. Reboot machine using OS X upgrade disc.

4. Instead of proceeding with upgrade, go instead to File->Disk Utility
and repair DISK (not permissions).

5. Proceed with upgrade. In the case of Panther, I recommend the
Archive & Install with both "Preserve" options checked. Obviously if
you have a brand new/clean machine, you can do a Wipe & Install
instead.

6. When the update is completed, reboot from the newly-updated HD and
run Disk Utility to repair permissions.

That's more or less it. Keep your Previous System folder around for a
few days to make sure there wasn't anything overlooked, and/or keep
your backup of the original HD around for a few days for the same
reason -- otherwise you're good to go.

> . Did you run into any similar problems to the Firewire/external drive
> problems mention elsewhere

No, because it only affected a very specific group of drives (those
with 922 chipsets and 1.02 versions of firmware). All other FW drives
do not seem to be affected. If you're concerned, contact the drive
manufacturer before hooking up the drive.

> . Have you run into any applications/programs that worked under 10.2
> but
> won't work under 10.3

A few, but they have mostly been updated. I keep my apps up-to-date all
the time, so this wasn't really an issue for me. The only things that
really "broke" were some Applescript-based apps (like BlogApp) and some
Java-based apps (like Bluebeard). They will be amended in due course.

_Chas_
"We don't want to be like Windows. We want to do everything better. We
are intent on creating the greatest computers and the best computing
experience in the world. And we are the only ones who can say that with
a straight face." -- Greg Joswiak, Apple VP of hardware product
marketing