Mail-Changing Subject header text

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Sat Nov 15 09:23:35 PST 2003

> From: John Erdman <jperdman at earthlink.net>
> Anyhow... now that I've converted to OSX I use the included mail app
> exclusively. I generally like it better than Eudora, but I find I can't
> change the titles on mail I've saved in a mailbox. Is there a way to do
> that?

I think that ability in Eudora came courtesy of a third-party plug-in
(of which there are plenty for Eudora). Sadly, there are very few
plug-ins for Mail (despite the fact that they are not difficult to
develop) and nothing that does what you want. However, I do have a
suggestion.

Re-file the mail you want to save into "folders" (rather than
mailboxes) with general subjects, like "Mac Tips," "Contact Info,"
"Medical Matters" or whatever broad categories as you might need, then
just use Mail's powerful searching ability to quickly find the RIGHT
email amongst those subjects. By setting up broad topics, you'll find
that the search takes almost no time at all and quickly gets you to the
right mail.

Once a year, I move all the out-of-date (ie older than a year) mail out
of the Mail program and burn it onto a CD. This keeps the mail that's
actually in my Mail program down to a manageable level (nothing older
than a year), and I know exactly where to find older mail should I ever
need it.

_Chas_

If this country had a national motto, it would be "DOH!"