[X Newbies] VPC Network question update

Joe Ellis jellis at gdeb.com
Thu Nov 20 09:43:34 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Leon Sargent" <Leon.Sargent at verizon.net>
To: "Mac OS X Newbies" <X-Newbies at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2003 11:04 AM
Subject: Re: [X Newbies] VPC Network question update

> Joe.
>
> Well I have found that using Virtual Switch you have to have two IP
> addresses.  One for the Mac and one for the PC.  Good if your are going
> to chat and you need an independant and not shared IP address that you
> would have if you used Shared Network.
>
> Virtual Switch is not going to work with my DSL connection.  I read
> this from the Microsoft web site.
>
> Lee

Hmm; when I get home this evening, I will check my setup again. Are you
using a router or firewall? With my setup, I have a cable modem (with fixed
IP address) feeding an ethernet connection to an Asante four port router.
The router feeds an ethernet connection to my desktop G4 and to my Airport
Base Station which is set to be a simple bridge to my Airport equipped
laptop. When my son is home he hooks his PC into the router also. Since I
use a router, my internal LAN is using DHCP IPs from it. I'll have to look
to see if the VPC gets it's own IP when I have it running, I don't think it
does.

Joe