Strange iMac behavior

Chris Foote foote at chem.ucla.edu
Fri Nov 21 10:23:12 PST 2003

>Date: 21 Nov 2003 07:54:37 -0600
>Subject: [X Newbies]
>From: "Mark Taintor" <markwt at mac.com>
>
>I have a friend who's not on this list who's come down with a strange
>problem with his G3 iMac. Here's what he told me:
>

><SMALLER><X-FONTSIZE><PARAM>10</PARAM>I brushed the keyboard nervously
>while speaking to my wife. I was waiting for a web page to appear on
>AOL. All my colors reversed. I am typing white letters on a black
>background right now! I went into screen effects, desk top, colors,
>calibrate, millions of colors, etc. Nothing worked. I reset about ten
>times. The colors are correct for two seconds, then change to this
>kind of "negative" looking theme.
>
>I formed another user, and the colors were fine, but all my files are
>on MY identity. Very odd problem.
>
>I have an Imac G3 with 305megs of Ram and 10 Gigs of HD. OSX right of
>the box, first addition. No updates.
>

></X-FONTSIZE></SMALLER>Any ideas about what's wrong with his machine?
>He can access his files now from a new user that he's created, but
>we're wondering if it's a symptom of something more serious.
>

>Thanks for any ideas about this.
>

>Mark

System Preferences->universal access->switch to white on black.
There's a keystroke activation for this, so he's triggered it.
Chris

Christopher S. Foote                      |Internet:foote at chem.ucla.edu
5505C Molecular Science                   |Phone:(310)-825-1409
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry  |FAX:  (310)-206-1843
University of California, Los Angeles     |
CA 90095-1569                             |
  http://www.chem.ucla.edu/dept/Organic/CSF_Brochure.html