[X Newbies] Port 110

James S Jones jsjones at mac.com
Thu Nov 27 08:17:00 PST 2003

The only point to the telnet exercise is to determine if you can reach
the server. You aren't logging in. You're not going to do anything
while you're there. And, if it doesn't work, it doesn't really prove
much.

If you can get in to your mail servers at all, then there's nothing
wrong with your system setup. With respect to Comcast, their server is
bus occasionally or completely down (especially a couple of months
ago). If you try it again, you'll usually get through. As for other
mail servers, I'd suspect something similar. It could be that a
particular server would be easier to connect to though other means that
the default settings. Your email service provider could give you those
advanced settings.

Are you using Panther, btw? Mail 1.3 is infinitely better than previous
versions.