[X Newbies] upgrading

John Lowther j.lo at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 15 00:56:15 PDT 2003

i know this story thread has gone cold, but i wanted to report back
about what had happened.

i bought a blue G3 and wanted, basically to mirror what i have on my
flat screen iMac.  Randy Singer and many other suggested things. i
followed Randy's advice and ordered a firewire cable and started up in
target disc mode and all that.  1st, i wanted to say that it's a sweet
way to move  stuff from one place to another, if i were moving nothing
but documents of whatever sort that would be great i think.  but my
problems were (are) somewhat larger i guess.

so, i installed OS X on the machine prior to getting that cable and
being able to move stuff over.  now hardly anything seems to work
right.  here's a brief litany about G3 problems;
__Modem won't connect to anything. back when it was running OS 9.2 the
modem worked, i could get on line etc.  now i can't.
__AOL, which my significant other uses (i tease her about it tho) won't
run right and she has been on the ohone with their tech support people
for hours and hours.
__Classic won't start.
__Applications moved from iMac to G3 are *very* buggy and throw up lots
of warnings telling me of missing folders and missing this or that or
that things i have never heard  of will not be available (photoshop is
the worst for this).

i feel like i need to start over. from the beginning. but i don't know
where that is exactly.

now that i have the firewire cable and know about target disc mode and
all that. can someone tell me how to safely  wipe the G3 of
*everything* and shift all the iMac stuff over to it. or if that isn't
doable then tell me to give up and stick the G3 in the closet with my
unicycle and clarinet and all the other stuff i can't do?

john