[X Newbies] upgrading

John Lowther j.lo at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 15 10:30:05 PDT 2003

Hi J

a few answers to your questions

> __AOL, which my significant other uses (i tease her about it tho)
> won't run right and she has been on the ohone with their tech support
> people for hours and hours.
>
> Do you have the latest version of AOL for X?

yes.

>> __Applications moved from iMac to G3 are *very* buggy and throw up
>> lots of warnings telling me of missing folders and missing this or
>> that or that things i have never heard  of will not be available
>> (photoshop is the worst for this).
>
> Did you reinstall those from original disks?

no. that was *why* i wanted to know if they could be transfered from
one machine to another, i do not have original disks...  being told
that it would work with a firewire cable i tried it

>> i feel like i need to start over. from the beginning. but i don't
>> know where that is exactly.
>
> Wipe it and install 9 then 10 again. What version of 10? I wouldn't
> recommend anything before 10.2.4

the iMac is 10.2.  i have tried maybe 8 or 9 times to download the
update for the OS from the mac site but it never gets here before
something burps on the line and disconnects. (i have dial-up natch)

so, here is where i get very nervous..

i have the disks that came with the iMac but nothing with the G3.
the iMac's disks are
__Apple Hardware Test (no idea what it  is for)
__Mac OS X install disks 1 & 2
__iMac software restore in 5 #ed disks (not sure what  software this is)
__World Book Mac OS X edition

... so when i read the things below various questions come to me

> Wipe it and install 9 then 10 again.

1. how do i wipe the machine?  do i just grab everything in the hard
drive and drag to trash? perhaps there is more in for here;

> Using OS 9 disk start up with it and use Drive Setup to wipe the drive
> then install 9.

2. but i don't know which of the discs i got with the iMac to use...
none of them say "OX 9"

> Update to 9.2.2 if you're going to put X on there.
> Use the Update Control Panel to get the rest of the pieces.

3. the rest of what pieces?

> Then install X, simple as that.

4. simple huh?  doesn't sound simple to me, sounds like something i
could screw up amazingly well.

thanks for your suggestions.