[X Newbies] upgrading

J themacintoshlady at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 16 11:59:55 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, September 16, 2003, at 02:39  PM, John Lowther wrote:

> ok, the G3 story some more
>
> i took my set of 5 'software restore' disks and tried to get OS 9
> working on this G3 (OS X.2 is already running as I mentioned, but is
> hampered by being unable to start classic) -- after running thru a few
> passwords and such it tells me that the restore disk is "incompatible
> with this computer" ... i guess because the disks were for the iMac
> and i am trying to use it with the G3
>
> any suggestions?

Whew, let me see......I believe Florin  and others others have made
suggestions on how to get this working but not sure if you tried them
and if they worked.

I usually just PURCHASE a CD that is proper for the hardware I am
trying to get working. In the case of all G3's I re-do a nice White and
Orange universal install CD of 9.1 is what I use.
However, if you insist on using X too, you can buy X on eBay for
cheaper than you can OS 9 alone. There are many packages of 10.2.4 plus
9.2.1 floating around that people got free and are selling for $50.

Splurge!  :-)

As for the fact that some machines might need some helper app to get X
to run on them, you would be on your own with that. I only install X on
supported machines because usually the user is not happy with the lack
of speed that results. (I don't remember if you said yours was
unsupported or not..so if that doesn't apply, just ignore, don't jump
down my throat...I've read at least 1,000 message since your last
one....)

YMMV of course, but I am just telling you what I do.