[X Newbies] upgrading

J themacintoshlady at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 16 14:03:13 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, September 16, 2003, at 03:45  PM, John Lowther wrote:

> so, i insert  the other CD (os 9.2.1) and double click the update OS i
> get the following message
> "Classic startup found no system folder on the boot volume from which
> to start Classic. " then it tells me that i can open classic
> preferences and search for available folders, if i try that, i get
> three options all grayed over so that i cannot select any of them
> (they are G3, MS office X, and Mac OS 9.2.1. Update)....

Did you boot from the CD or just insert it? It sounds like you have X
in there without any 9 folder, and are not booting with the CD. Classic
tries to start because you are in X trying to run a 9 installer I would
imagine.... I am not sure what is going on.

> just for kicks i tried to start Classic from the start button here.

Which start button???

>   the icon appears ion the dock, the classic desktop window begins to
> start running the blue meter  begins moving to the right and nevver
> gets there, sometimes it gets close, but never actually opens, just at
> the crux it flashes a box which says "Kodac, color processor version"
> but this closes immediately and then the os9 icon disappears and i'm
> back where i started.
>
> i wondered whether classic will not  start because (as i understood
> it) classic = os 9.2 not the 9.1 i have installed here.

If you have both on the drive, but the drive is partitioned I think X
has to be on the first 8 gigs, I am not sure about that model, but
others would know this.