Haunted by users...

J themacintoshlady at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 21 11:54:03 PDT 2003

What to do with users who simply won't understand that reporting every
little crash they get is NOT going to help them fix it and they should
it ignore it?
Sure, in the past, I could say, "Oh you just ran out of memory, so
close the app and reopen it"
Or "You have an extension or hardware conflict", depending on the Type
# of the error.. Problem solved.

But now, I am getting emails from users with these huge crash reports,
starting with the

Exception:  EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (0x0002)
Code[0]:    0x00000002Code[1]:    0xa02212a0

asking what could have caused it and how to fix it?

The only time I ever in 6 years got a  EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION  bomb on OS
9 was a month ago when  my optical mouse screwed up. Replacing it fixed
it.

Since his setup is exactly like mine, and was done at the dealer
(10.2.6, 512 RAM) I don't have a clue what could be wrong. He uses just
the basic applications, which he did instruct them to update for him
and they did (I think) The person is handicapped (quad) and I've told
him that if his Updater shows more things need updating, and they look
too large, I would send him a CD as he is on dialup.....after that, I
have no more answers for him. I've shown him how to repair permissions
and sent him the scripts that do the daily, weekly, monthly stuff. I
don't think he needs any HD repair at this early stage of the game, but
he has his AppleCare disk.

I have learned to ignore the many crashes and quits on my own system
and just pray the whole thing doesn't collapse someday. I am not used
to machines crashing like this. And like many, I do not know what the
crash reports mean other than it didn't like what you told it to do.

Sometimes I wonder -- it is said you don't have to reboot after a
crash. But at least you knew why...and might fix it.

Any ideas?
Thanks...