[X Newbies] OSX not dial-up friendly

Florin Alexander Neumann alexn at ica.net
Tue Sep 23 20:00:31 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003, at 20:00 Canada/Eastern, Paul Korntheuer
wrote:

> I mean that OSX will not behave in the same way as OS9 and earlier.

"Oh my! My new BMW just _will not_ behave in the same way as my old
Yugo! Let alone my Edsel!"

> Apple's internet apps (Safari, Mail, and others) can't successfully
> negotiate an internet connection on their own.

Neither Apple's, nor Microsoft's, nor anyone else's "internet apps"
"negotiate an internet connection on their own". Mac or Windows, that's
done by the OS networking software. And that also applies to
establishing a PPP connection, which is probably what you mean.

> I would need to "manually"
> connect

System Preferences > Network > Internal Modem (or whatever modem you're
using) > PPP > PPP Options > Connect automatically when needed.

>  and after downloading emails, manually disconnect.

System Preferences > Network > Internal Modem (or whatever modem you're
using) > PPP > PPP Options > Disconnect if idle for n minutes.