[X Newbies] Problems Installing Apps

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Thu Apr 1 07:02:28 PST 2004

On Apr 1, 2004, at 7:49 AM, Alex wrote:

> On Thursday, Apr 1, 2004, at 01:53 Canada/Eastern, Kirk McElhearn
> wrote:
>
>> On 4/1/04 8:42 AM, "Chris Walker" <chris at mymac.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I thought that when installing ANY app that the admin dialogue was
>>> supposed to appear to ask for the password [...]
>>
>> Under Panther, unlike Jaguar, the password request comes at the very
>> end of
>> the procedure. [...]
>
> Depends on which installer and what it does. If the user has admin
> privs, and the installer only extracts and copies files to the Apps
> folder, no password is required.

That's what I thought. If its only copying stuff into the Applications
folder and you're using an admin account, there's no need to
authenticate. If, however, its adding stuff to other parts of the
system it will require a password. In fact I always thought it was a
good thing if it didn't require a password because that meant it could
only mess up my user space, not the entire system. Isn't that the way
it works?

As a side note, I still really wish installations that did require a
password were more specific about why they needed it and what they were
doing.

-Mike