[X Newbies] Maintenance was Re: Problems Installing Apps

Christiaan Knol christiaan at iinet.net.au
Thu Apr 1 22:41:16 PST 2004

To delete the Icon files (hint credit from macosxhints.com) type the
following in the terminal:

find $HOME/Library/Safari/Icons -type f -atime +30 -name "*.cache"
-delete

This deletes all icons not accessed within 30 days.  Change 30 to
anything else you like.  Remove -delete from the end to see what it
will delete, or add -print just before the -delete to see what it is
deleting.

I have the following script run as part of my maintenance scripts
(within Macaroni) which outputs the results to a log file (clears out
caches and icons).  Create a file such as maintenance.sh - I use
Documents/Scripts to store these and insert whatever commands you wish
to use in this file.  I have included mine below as an example.  In the
terminal, issue the following command to make it executable:

chmod 755 /Users/your_username/Documents/scripts/maintenance.sh

Then within Macaroni create a new job and include the path to the
script file you just created - I also have a log file in that same
directory called maintenance.log  Macaroni will create this for you if
there's not one there.  As an example, I have included my
maintenance.sh script below which I have set to run once a week:

#!/bin/sh

# echo start message
echo "Cache Clean Script Processing"

sudo rm -r /Users/your_username/Library/Caches/*
sudo rm -r /Library/Caches/*
sudo rm -r /System/Library/Caches/*

echo "Cache Cleared"

echo "Deleting unused Safari Icons"

find /Users/your_username/Library/Safari/Icons -type f -atime +7 -name
"*.cache" -delete

echo "Icons Cleared"

Hope this is of some use...

ck