[X Newbies] Problems Installing Apps

Chris Walker chris at mymac.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 2 22:56:15 PST 2004

On 2/4/04 Charles Martin wrote:

>Here's the top tools in my toolbox:
>1. OnyX [...............]
Thanks for the info Charles.  One point though.  Should these maintenance
routines be run from a separate disk/CD?  I'm thinking particularly of
the regular cron scripts/fix permissions etc.  Obviously major problems
do need to be fixed from a separate disk.

>6. REGULAR, VERIFIED BACKUPS. Alluded to in point 2 above but really
>can't be stressed enough.
Although I believe in backups, I notice since moving to X that people
really really seem to stress their importance, perhaps more so than when
running OS9.  Given that X is supposed to be more robust/stable etc, this
extra emphasis always strikes me as a bit odd.  Doesn't invalidate the
advice though  :-)

cheers,

Chris