[X Newbies] Mail & .mac password

W Lane wilann at telusplanet.net
Thu Apr 15 09:09:58 PDT 2004

On Apr 15, 2004, at 09:26, birgit rhoads wrote:

> Using Apple Mail.  I very often am asked to give my password for my
> .mac mail account.  I enter the password and it is rejected
> repeatedly.  I re-enter the password in my .mac account and it is
> still rejected.  Is this a problem with the .mac site?  I am getting
> my mail on .mac today, so their mail is not down.  Just cannot
> download it?
>
> Anyone know why this occurs?

As I understand it if Mail, for whatever reason, can't connect with
your ISP's mail server it throws an 'error' which it displays as
'incorrect password'. The password is really NOT the problem and, as
you have discovered, re-entering it is not the solution. Generally when
I have this happen I leave the account Offline for a bit (you'll see a
little almost invisible 'lightning bolt' next to your In box in the
Mail drawer'. Click on it to bring the account(s) back on line.