[X Newbies] OT: "Propaganda"

Vincent Cayenne vcayenne at mac.com
Thu Apr 15 11:27:32 PDT 2004

At 12:36 PM -0400 4/15/04, Raoul Armfield wrote:
>I believe this is an unmoderated list

And that can be a wonderful thing.

If you're on an un-moderated list and your sensibilities are offended
by some list personas, you apply Usenet techniques. Killfile
whomsoever you can't handle, grin & bear it, or find a list that is
more suitable to your sensibilities. Because you certainly can't
mandate a change in others...

In any event, longtime denizens of these lists in particular know
that there's a regularly quarterly blowout. The diehards and
masochists hunker down or step away, the transients move on, new
users join, and list life goes on. On these lists, good advice is
given, opinions spouted, points argued, and usually the querent gets
an answer along the way. But there is a conviction and a commitment
to moving everyone forward. They (we) all mean well. The objective is
to help one another. In the course of the exchange, other perhaps
irrelevant communication happens. But there are other lists that are
run by different rules. Sometimes the same people maintain separate
personas in keeping with the nature of the lists themselves.

What is truly offensive is intolerance. Seen a lot of it lately.

So Charles is exuberant, opinionated and often abrasive. At some time
past, I was one who took offense, carped at him, and countered some
of his commentary (not his sigs). Then we got over it. Or I hope we
did. But we co-exist, offer up some advice - some right, some wrong.
There's always someone there to correct one's foolish pronouncements
on anything Mac. I've had all of mine picked apart <g>.

I've only ever encountered one mean-spirited, truly offensive,
stick-up-the-ass pontificator on these lists. The sniping,
mealy-mouthed digs and the marginally polite veneer renders their
wealth of information truly an expensive burden. It's no wonder that
they seem rarely thanked.

[In that vein, and to whom it may concern: If your peacock went the
way of the dodo, perhaps more would appreciate your owl?]

If this post is in itself of offense to some, I apologise only for
its length and can assure you that it shall remain my *only* entry in
this thread. Of course, that also means that detractors or those in
outright disagreements with my sentiments need not concern themselves
with the possibility of my reply. Feel free to flame, chastise or
vilify. I'll cheerfully read 'em, won't weep. It's all in the game.
--
Deliberate rudeness is a valuable and effective way of sending
messages, but inadvertent rudeness is simply an outward sign of an