[X Newbies] OS X Panther Partition Size and Swap Space

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Mon Apr 19 23:43:36 PDT 2004

On 4/20/04 12:36 AM, "Alex" <alist at sprint.ca> wrote:

>> Unless something has changed that I'm unaware of, having multiple
>> versions of  OS9 is a way bad...
>
> Under "Classic" Mac OS (v9.x or earlier), one should only have a single
> System Folder on a given volume (but on a given machine one may have
> several System Folders, as long as they are on separate volumes). This
> limitation may be bypassed by using various utilities which "bless" a
> particular System Folder.
>
> Under OS X, one may have more than one System Folder (not System
> folder!) on the same volume, although only one may be active at any one
> time. Before using Classic, one of them must be selected in the Classic
> prefpane.
>
> In fact, under OS X it may even be a good idea two have two System
> Folders, one with a minimum set of extensions and drivers to be used
> for Classic, another with a full set of extensions to be used to boot
> the machine (obviously, this doesn't apply to Macs which can only boot
> in OS X).

Agreed. If you plan to boot in OS 9 (as opposed to Classic) it's a good idea
to have two System Folders.

Kirk

        My new e-book: Take Control of Users and Accounts in Panther
          http://www.tidbits.com/takecontrol/panther/users.html
  . . . . . . .  kirk at mcelhearn.com | http://www.mcelhearn.com  . . . . . .
  . .  Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France  . .