[X Newbies] Saving Mail and Other Program Data

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Tue Apr 20 13:39:21 PDT 2004

On Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004, at 13:19 Canada/Eastern, Charles Martin wrote:

> [...] As far as "swap space" and "partitioning" and other
> complications go, I would say this: Apple has already thought about
> this, and has implemented what they feel is the best way for this to
> work [...]

Translation: "Don't worry your pretty little head, Big Brother has
taken care of everything already".

Much of the advice is good, but (surprise, surprise) I violently
disagree with this attitude. As a Mac user since Classical Antiquity
(well, since Philippi at least), I can tell you Apple has got things
wrong more than once -- and I have the scars to prove it!

The chief reason why it's not a good idea for a newbie to worry about
these issues is that a newbie -- by definition -- doesn't yet know
enough about the OS. One of the most basic mistakes a newbie makes (and
this applies to apps as well as the OS -- I know, 'cause I've done it
often) is to start customizing too soon. First, learn it, understand
well how it works, tinker a bit with the hubcaps and the hood ornament,
and only then lift the hood and start tinkering with your transmission.