SFTP

Chris Walker chris at mymac.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 26 11:28:36 PDT 2004

Hi all,

I normally use ftp to transfer files to web pages but decided to try SFTP
with Transmit 2.6.2 with X3.3  Unfortunately this gives 'unable to
connect to server' although it is OK with straight ftp on the server's
port 21.

Some questions:

Is SFTP the same as SSH?

What is the 'normal' port for this?  Anarchie tries to connect via Port
22 for SFTP (same port as SSH?).

The IANA listing of ports gives 115 as the registered SFTP port.

if SFTP is the same as SSH then do I need to do some port mapping to get
through the firewall, or is this only if I am trying to remote access my
own machine rather than upload files to a remote server?

I'm probably getting a little (read a lot!) paranoid about security :-)

cheers,

Chris