[X Newbies] SFTP

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Mon Apr 26 16:22:58 PDT 2004

On Monday, Apr 26, 2004, at 14:28 Canada/Eastern, Chris Walker wrote:

> [...] Is SFTP the same as SSH?

The Mac OS X version of Secure Shell includes ssh, scp, sftp, and
others, and it is based on the open-source OpenSSH
<http://www.openssh.org/> suite.

> What is the 'normal' port for this?  Anarchie tries to connect via Port
> 22 for SFTP (same port as SSH?).

That's the default.

> The IANA listing of ports gives 115 as the registered SFTP port.

That's the older Simple FTP (RFC913), which is not encrypted.

> if SFTP is the same as SSH then do I need to do some port mapping to
> get
> through the firewall[...]

All you need is to enable SSH (aka Remote Login) on your server, and
make sure port 22 is open.